Brussels Sprouts with Sherry-Asiago Cream Sauce
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Can a rich cream sauce be healthy? Yes, when it's made with a little full-flavored cheese like Asiago, low-fat milk and sherry. Look for dry-to-medium sherry sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place Brussels sprouts in a steamer basket and steam in a large saucepan over 1 inch of boiling water until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring once or twice until just starting to brown, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Sprinkle in flour; stir until combined. Whisk in milk and sherry; bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the sprouts.
Tips & Notes
- Look for dry-to-medium sherry sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 146 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 212 mg sodium; 417 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (216% daily value), Vitamin C (130% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Folate (19% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- October/November 2006