Brussels Sprouts with Sherry-Asiago Cream Sauce
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Can a rich cream sauce be healthy? Yes, when it's made with a little full-flavored cheese like Asiago, low-fat milk and sherry. Look for dry-to-medium sherry sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place Brussels sprouts in a steamer basket and steam in a large saucepan over 1 inch of boiling water until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring once or twice until just starting to brown, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Sprinkle in flour; stir until combined. Whisk in milk and sherry; bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the sprouts.
Tips & Notes
- Look for dry-to-medium sherry sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 146 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 212 mg sodium; 417 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (216% daily value), Vitamin C (130% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Folate (19% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- October/November 2006
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (84 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)