Brussels Sprouts with Sherry-Asiago Cream Sauce
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Can a rich cream sauce be healthy? Yes, when it's made with a little full-flavored cheese like Asiago, low-fat milk and sherry. Look for dry-to-medium sherry sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place Brussels sprouts in a steamer basket and steam in a large saucepan over 1 inch of boiling water until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring once or twice until just starting to brown, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Sprinkle in flour; stir until combined. Whisk in milk and sherry; bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the sprouts.
Tips & Notes
- Look for dry-to-medium sherry sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 146 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 212 mg sodium; 417 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (216% daily value), Vitamin C (130% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Folate (19% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- October/November 2006
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)