Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts & Sage
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Chestnuts and Brussels sprouts are a classic pair—the toasty, rich nuts balance the sprouts. This dish cuts down on the holiday oven gridlock because it can be done on the stovetop.
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped chestnuts, (about 4 ounces; see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add Brussels sprouts and cook until bright green and just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Melt butter with oil and broth in a large skillet over medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts, chestnuts and sage and cook, stirring often, until heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Tip: You don't need to prepare your own chestnuts for this dish. Cooked and peeled chestnuts are available in jars at this time of year. Look for them in the baking aisle or near other seasonal food items.
Per serving: 68 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 117 mg sodium; 308 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 2007