Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts & Sage
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Chestnuts and Brussels sprouts are a classic pair—the toasty, rich nuts balance the sprouts. This dish cuts down on the holiday oven gridlock because it can be done on the stovetop.
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped chestnuts, (about 4 ounces; see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add Brussels sprouts and cook until bright green and just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Melt butter with oil and broth in a large skillet over medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts, chestnuts and sage and cook, stirring often, until heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Tip: You don't need to prepare your own chestnuts for this dish. Cooked and peeled chestnuts are available in jars at this time of year. Look for them in the baking aisle or near other seasonal food items.
Per serving: 68 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 117 mg sodium; 308 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- November/December 2007