Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts & Sage
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Chestnuts and Brussels sprouts are a classic pair—the toasty, rich nuts balance the sprouts. This dish cuts down on the holiday oven gridlock because it can be done on the stovetop.
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped chestnuts, (about 4 ounces; see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add Brussels sprouts and cook until bright green and just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Melt butter with oil and broth in a large skillet over medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts, chestnuts and sage and cook, stirring often, until heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Tip: You don't need to prepare your own chestnuts for this dish. Cooked and peeled chestnuts are available in jars at this time of year. Look for them in the baking aisle or near other seasonal food items.
Per serving: 68 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 117 mg sodium; 308 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 2007
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)