Brussels Sprouts with Bacon-Horseradish Cream
These tangy horseradish-cream-topped Brussels sprouts are just the thing to serve with corned beef and potatoes, or alongside a holiday ham or turkey. Look for sprouts with tight, firm, small deep-green heads; if they're still on the stalk, so much the better. To prepare, peel off outer leaves and trim the stems. Double it: Steam the Brussels sprouts in a Dutch oven instead of a saucepan.
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 4 strips crisp-cooked bacon, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put Brussels sprouts in the basket and steam until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Mix bacon, sour cream, horseradish, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the Brussels sprouts and toss to coat.
Per serving: 80 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 431 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (216% daily value), Vitamin C (130% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)