Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Here we toss nutty roasted sprouts with a quick sun-dried tomato pesto.
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 7 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soft (not oil-packed) or reconstituted and chopped (see Tip)
- 1 medium clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon water. Roast for 10 minutes. Stir and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon water. Continue roasting until tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining 3 teaspoons oil and 5 tablespoons water in a food processor; add sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, pine nuts, vinegar and oregano and process until a rough pesto forms. Stir in Parmesan. Toss the Brussels sprouts with the pesto.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: For this recipe, look for soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil). If you can only find tomatoes that are very dry (and hard), soak in boiling water for about 20 minutes, then drain and chop them before using.
- To toast pine nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 99 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 185 mg sodium; 482 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- September/October 2010