Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Here we toss nutty roasted sprouts with a quick sun-dried tomato pesto.
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 7 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soft (not oil-packed) or reconstituted and chopped (see Tip)
- 1 medium clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon water. Roast for 10 minutes. Stir and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon water. Continue roasting until tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining 3 teaspoons oil and 5 tablespoons water in a food processor; add sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, pine nuts, vinegar and oregano and process until a rough pesto forms. Stir in Parmesan. Toss the Brussels sprouts with the pesto.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: For this recipe, look for soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil). If you can only find tomatoes that are very dry (and hard), soak in boiling water for about 20 minutes, then drain and chop them before using.
- To toast pine nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 99 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 185 mg sodium; 482 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2010