Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Here we toss nutty roasted sprouts with a quick sun-dried tomato pesto.
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 7 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soft (not oil-packed) or reconstituted and chopped (see Tip)
- 1 medium clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon water. Roast for 10 minutes. Stir and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon water. Continue roasting until tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining 3 teaspoons oil and 5 tablespoons water in a food processor; add sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, pine nuts, vinegar and oregano and process until a rough pesto forms. Stir in Parmesan. Toss the Brussels sprouts with the pesto.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: For this recipe, look for soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil). If you can only find tomatoes that are very dry (and hard), soak in boiling water for about 20 minutes, then drain and chop them before using.
- To toast pine nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 99 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 185 mg sodium; 482 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2010