Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Here we toss nutty roasted sprouts with a quick sun-dried tomato pesto.
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 7 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soft (not oil-packed) or reconstituted and chopped (see Tip)
- 1 medium clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon water. Roast for 10 minutes. Stir and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon water. Continue roasting until tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining 3 teaspoons oil and 5 tablespoons water in a food processor; add sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, pine nuts, vinegar and oregano and process until a rough pesto forms. Stir in Parmesan. Toss the Brussels sprouts with the pesto.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: For this recipe, look for soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil). If you can only find tomatoes that are very dry (and hard), soak in boiling water for about 20 minutes, then drain and chop them before using.
- To toast pine nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 99 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 185 mg sodium; 482 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2010