Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Here we toss nutty roasted sprouts with a quick sun-dried tomato pesto.
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 7 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soft (not oil-packed) or reconstituted and chopped (see Tip)
- 1 medium clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon water. Roast for 10 minutes. Stir and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon water. Continue roasting until tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining 3 teaspoons oil and 5 tablespoons water in a food processor; add sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, pine nuts, vinegar and oregano and process until a rough pesto forms. Stir in Parmesan. Toss the Brussels sprouts with the pesto.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: For this recipe, look for soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil). If you can only find tomatoes that are very dry (and hard), soak in boiling water for about 20 minutes, then drain and chop them before using.
- To toast pine nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 99 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 185 mg sodium; 482 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2010