Brussels Sprouts & Chestnuts
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Dried chestnuts are a convenient alternative to fresh ones. They are available by mail from Northwest Chestnuts.
- 24 fresh chestnuts, (3/4 pound)
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Using a sharp knife, score a cross on the flat side of each chestnut. Dip chestnuts, 4 or 5 at a time, into a saucepan of boiling water. Using a slotted spoon, remove chestnuts and peel away shells and inner brown skins. Place the peeled chestnuts in a large saucepan and add enough boiling water to cover. Add celery stalk and simmer, covered, for 30 to 45 minutes, or until tender. Drain, discarding celery, and refresh with cold water. Set aside.
- With a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from half the lemon. (Save lemon for another use.) Cut the zest into julienne strips and place in a small saucepan; cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Drain and set aside.
- With a paring knife, cut a small cross, 1/8 inch deep, in the stem end of each Brussels sprout. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook, uncovered, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and refresh with cold water. (The vegetables can be prepared ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.)
- In a large skillet, heat broth and butter. Add the chestnuts and Brussels sprouts and toss over medium heat until heated through. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with the julienned lemon zest.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 142 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 104 mg sodium; 565 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 1992