Brussels Sprouts & Chestnuts
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Dried chestnuts are a convenient alternative to fresh ones. They are available by mail from Northwest Chestnuts.
- 24 fresh chestnuts, (3/4 pound)
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Using a sharp knife, score a cross on the flat side of each chestnut. Dip chestnuts, 4 or 5 at a time, into a saucepan of boiling water. Using a slotted spoon, remove chestnuts and peel away shells and inner brown skins. Place the peeled chestnuts in a large saucepan and add enough boiling water to cover. Add celery stalk and simmer, covered, for 30 to 45 minutes, or until tender. Drain, discarding celery, and refresh with cold water. Set aside.
- With a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from half the lemon. (Save lemon for another use.) Cut the zest into julienne strips and place in a small saucepan; cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Drain and set aside.
- With a paring knife, cut a small cross, 1/8 inch deep, in the stem end of each Brussels sprout. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook, uncovered, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and refresh with cold water. (The vegetables can be prepared ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.)
- In a large skillet, heat broth and butter. Add the chestnuts and Brussels sprouts and toss over medium heat until heated through. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with the julienned lemon zest.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 142 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 104 mg sodium; 565 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 1992