Brussels Sprout & Potato Hash
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This vegetarian Brussels sprout and potato hash recipe is a quick, easy dinner, perfect for a cool fall evening. Resist the urge to stir it too much! Cooking the hash undisturbed allows a crispy caramelized crust to form on the potatoes at the bottom of the pan. Look for hash browns that don’t have added salt to help keep sodium in check.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 5 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and rosemary; cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in hash browns, salt and pepper. Spread into an even layer. Cook, undisturbed, for 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in Brussels sprouts, spread back into an even layer and cook, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes and returning to an even layer, until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes total. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Reduce to a gentle simmer. Break an egg into a small bowl, submerge the bowl’s lip in the water and slide the egg in. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Cook for 4 minutes for soft set, 5 minutes for medium set and 8 minutes for hard set. Transfer the eggs to a clean dish towel to drain. Serve the eggs over the hash.
Per serving: 377 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 192 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 7 g fiber; 594 mg sodium; 489 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (129% daily value), Vitamin A (26% dv), Folate (25% dv), Iron (18% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013