Brussels Sprout & Potato Hash
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This vegetarian Brussels sprout and potato hash recipe is a quick, easy dinner, perfect for a cool fall evening. Resist the urge to stir it too much! Cooking the hash undisturbed allows a crispy caramelized crust to form on the potatoes at the bottom of the pan. Look for hash browns that don’t have added salt to help keep sodium in check.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 5 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and rosemary; cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in hash browns, salt and pepper. Spread into an even layer. Cook, undisturbed, for 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in Brussels sprouts, spread back into an even layer and cook, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes and returning to an even layer, until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes total. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Reduce to a gentle simmer. Break an egg into a small bowl, submerge the bowl’s lip in the water and slide the egg in. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Cook for 4 minutes for soft set, 5 minutes for medium set and 8 minutes for hard set. Transfer the eggs to a clean dish towel to drain. Serve the eggs over the hash.
Per serving: 377 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 192 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 7 g fiber; 594 mg sodium; 489 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (129% daily value), Vitamin A (26% dv), Folate (25% dv), Iron (18% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013