Brussels Sprout & Potato Hash
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This vegetarian Brussels sprout and potato hash recipe is a quick, easy dinner, perfect for a cool fall evening. Resist the urge to stir it too much! Cooking the hash undisturbed allows a crispy caramelized crust to form on the potatoes at the bottom of the pan. Look for hash browns that don’t have added salt to help keep sodium in check.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 5 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and rosemary; cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in hash browns, salt and pepper. Spread into an even layer. Cook, undisturbed, for 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in Brussels sprouts, spread back into an even layer and cook, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes and returning to an even layer, until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes total. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Reduce to a gentle simmer. Break an egg into a small bowl, submerge the bowl’s lip in the water and slide the egg in. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Cook for 4 minutes for soft set, 5 minutes for medium set and 8 minutes for hard set. Transfer the eggs to a clean dish towel to drain. Serve the eggs over the hash.
Per serving: 377 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 192 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 7 g fiber; 594 mg sodium; 489 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (129% daily value), Vitamin A (26% dv), Folate (25% dv), Iron (18% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013