Bruschetta with Tomatoes & Capers
From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
Bruschetta, or grilled bread, is a crisper, more flavorful alternative to American garlic bread. Here it's topped with a combination of tomatoes and capers. Munch on this while you prepare the rest of the dinner.
- 3 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped arugula or chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Cut tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds. Dice the flesh and combine with capers (or arugula or basil), 1 teaspoon oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Shortly before serving, cut bread into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Grill on both sides or broil until lightly toasted.
- While the bread is grilling (or toasting), place the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a small saucepan and warm on the grill, or if you are using the broiler, over low heat on top of the stove.
- Brush one side of bread with the garlic oil and spoon the tomato mixture over top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the tomato mixture (Step 1) for up to 2 hours. Bring to room temperature before using.
Per serving: 169 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 259 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Charter Issue, 1990