Bruschetta with Tomatoes & Capers
From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
Bruschetta, or grilled bread, is a crisper, more flavorful alternative to American garlic bread. Here it's topped with a combination of tomatoes and capers. Munch on this while you prepare the rest of the dinner.
- 3 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped arugula or chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Cut tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds. Dice the flesh and combine with capers (or arugula or basil), 1 teaspoon oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Shortly before serving, cut bread into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Grill on both sides or broil until lightly toasted.
- While the bread is grilling (or toasting), place the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a small saucepan and warm on the grill, or if you are using the broiler, over low heat on top of the stove.
- Brush one side of bread with the garlic oil and spoon the tomato mixture over top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the tomato mixture (Step 1) for up to 2 hours. Bring to room temperature before using.
Per serving: 169 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 259 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Charter Issue, 1990