Bruschetta with Tomatoes & Capers
From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
Bruschetta, or grilled bread, is a crisper, more flavorful alternative to American garlic bread. Here it's topped with a combination of tomatoes and capers. Munch on this while you prepare the rest of the dinner.
- 3 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped arugula or chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Cut tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds. Dice the flesh and combine with capers (or arugula or basil), 1 teaspoon oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Shortly before serving, cut bread into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Grill on both sides or broil until lightly toasted.
- While the bread is grilling (or toasting), place the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a small saucepan and warm on the grill, or if you are using the broiler, over low heat on top of the stove.
- Brush one side of bread with the garlic oil and spoon the tomato mixture over top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the tomato mixture (Step 1) for up to 2 hours. Bring to room temperature before using.
Per serving: 169 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 259 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Charter Issue, 1990