Bruschetta with Tomatoes & Capers
From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
Bruschetta, or grilled bread, is a crisper, more flavorful alternative to American garlic bread. Here it's topped with a combination of tomatoes and capers. Munch on this while you prepare the rest of the dinner.
- 3 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped arugula or chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Cut tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds. Dice the flesh and combine with capers (or arugula or basil), 1 teaspoon oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Shortly before serving, cut bread into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Grill on both sides or broil until lightly toasted.
- While the bread is grilling (or toasting), place the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a small saucepan and warm on the grill, or if you are using the broiler, over low heat on top of the stove.
- Brush one side of bread with the garlic oil and spoon the tomato mixture over top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the tomato mixture (Step 1) for up to 2 hours. Bring to room temperature before using.
Per serving: 169 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 259 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Charter Issue, 1990