Bruschetta with Tomatoes & Capers
From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
Bruschetta, or grilled bread, is a crisper, more flavorful alternative to American garlic bread. Here it's topped with a combination of tomatoes and capers. Munch on this while you prepare the rest of the dinner.
- 3 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped arugula or chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Cut tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds. Dice the flesh and combine with capers (or arugula or basil), 1 teaspoon oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Shortly before serving, cut bread into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Grill on both sides or broil until lightly toasted.
- While the bread is grilling (or toasting), place the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a small saucepan and warm on the grill, or if you are using the broiler, over low heat on top of the stove.
- Brush one side of bread with the garlic oil and spoon the tomato mixture over top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the tomato mixture (Step 1) for up to 2 hours. Bring to room temperature before using.
Per serving: 169 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 259 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Charter Issue, 1990
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)