Bruschetta with Tomatoes
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Fresh summer tomatoes seasoned with fresh basil tops grilled bread in this perfect summer appetizer.
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 3/4-inch-thick slices crusty Italian bread
- Preheat grill. Combine the tomatoes with 2 teaspoons oil, vinegar and garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper. Brush the bread on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and grill, flipping once, until lightly toasted on both sides. Top with the tomato mixture.
Per serving: 164 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 132 mg sodium; 184 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (71% daily value), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique