Bruschetta with Tomatoes
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Fresh summer tomatoes seasoned with fresh basil tops grilled bread in this perfect summer appetizer.
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 3/4-inch-thick slices crusty Italian bread
- Preheat grill. Combine the tomatoes with 2 teaspoons oil, vinegar and garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper. Brush the bread on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and grill, flipping once, until lightly toasted on both sides. Top with the tomato mixture.
Per serving: 164 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 132 mg sodium; 184 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (71% daily value), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique