Bruschetta with Tomatoes
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Fresh summer tomatoes seasoned with fresh basil tops grilled bread in this perfect summer appetizer.
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 3/4-inch-thick slices crusty Italian bread
- Preheat grill. Combine the tomatoes with 2 teaspoons oil, vinegar and garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper. Brush the bread on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and grill, flipping once, until lightly toasted on both sides. Top with the tomato mixture.
Per serving: 164 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 132 mg sodium; 184 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (71% daily value), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less