Bruschetta with Tomatoes
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Fresh summer tomatoes seasoned with fresh basil tops grilled bread in this perfect summer appetizer.
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 3/4-inch-thick slices crusty Italian bread
- Preheat grill. Combine the tomatoes with 2 teaspoons oil, vinegar and garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper. Brush the bread on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and grill, flipping once, until lightly toasted on both sides. Top with the tomato mixture.
Per serving: 164 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 132 mg sodium; 184 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (71% daily value), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)