Bruschetta with Tomatoes
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Fresh summer tomatoes seasoned with fresh basil tops grilled bread in this perfect summer appetizer.
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 3/4-inch-thick slices crusty Italian bread
- Preheat grill. Combine the tomatoes with 2 teaspoons oil, vinegar and garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper. Brush the bread on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and grill, flipping once, until lightly toasted on both sides. Top with the tomato mixture.
Per serving: 164 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 132 mg sodium; 184 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (71% daily value), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less