Bruschetta with Roasted Peppers & Mozzarella
Roasting peppers intensifies their natural sweetness and gives them a depth of flavor that marries beautifully with the mild cheese in this pretty antipasto.
- 4 roasted bell peppers, peeled, seeded and sliced (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices whole-wheat country bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine roasted peppers, basil and vinegar in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast or grill bread slices lightly. Rub both sides of the bread with the cut sides of the garlic. Place bread on a baking sheet; top with rthe oasted peppers. Lay mozzarella strips on a diagonal over the roasted peppers and drizzle with oil.
- Broil bruschetta 6 inches from the heat source until the cheese melts and starts to brown. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: How to Oven-Roast Peppers
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet. Arrange whole bell peppers on the rack.
- 2. Roast peppers in the center of the oven, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in places, 30 to 40 minutes.
- 3. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let steam for 10 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
- 4. With a paring knife, remove stems, skins and seeds. If serving as antipasto, combine accumulated juices with peppers.
Per serving: 96 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 215 mg sodium; 132 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C(97% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more