Bruschetta with Roasted Peppers & Mozzarella
Roasting peppers intensifies their natural sweetness and gives them a depth of flavor that marries beautifully with the mild cheese in this pretty antipasto.
- 4 roasted bell peppers, peeled, seeded and sliced (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices whole-wheat country bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine roasted peppers, basil and vinegar in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast or grill bread slices lightly. Rub both sides of the bread with the cut sides of the garlic. Place bread on a baking sheet; top with rthe oasted peppers. Lay mozzarella strips on a diagonal over the roasted peppers and drizzle with oil.
- Broil bruschetta 6 inches from the heat source until the cheese melts and starts to brown. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: How to Oven-Roast Peppers
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet. Arrange whole bell peppers on the rack.
- 2. Roast peppers in the center of the oven, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in places, 30 to 40 minutes.
- 3. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let steam for 10 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
- 4. With a paring knife, remove stems, skins and seeds. If serving as antipasto, combine accumulated juices with peppers.
Per serving: 96 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 215 mg sodium; 132 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C(97% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more