Bruschetta with Roasted Peppers & Mozzarella
Roasting peppers intensifies their natural sweetness and gives them a depth of flavor that marries beautifully with the mild cheese in this pretty antipasto.
- 4 roasted bell peppers, peeled, seeded and sliced (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices whole-wheat country bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine roasted peppers, basil and vinegar in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast or grill bread slices lightly. Rub both sides of the bread with the cut sides of the garlic. Place bread on a baking sheet; top with rthe oasted peppers. Lay mozzarella strips on a diagonal over the roasted peppers and drizzle with oil.
- Broil bruschetta 6 inches from the heat source until the cheese melts and starts to brown. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: How to Oven-Roast Peppers
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet. Arrange whole bell peppers on the rack.
- 2. Roast peppers in the center of the oven, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in places, 30 to 40 minutes.
- 3. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let steam for 10 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
- 4. With a paring knife, remove stems, skins and seeds. If serving as antipasto, combine accumulated juices with peppers.
Per serving: 96 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 215 mg sodium; 132 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C(97% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation