Bruschetta with Roasted Peppers & Mozzarella
Roasting peppers intensifies their natural sweetness and gives them a depth of flavor that marries beautifully with the mild cheese in this pretty antipasto.
- 4 roasted bell peppers, peeled, seeded and sliced (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices whole-wheat country bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine roasted peppers, basil and vinegar in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast or grill bread slices lightly. Rub both sides of the bread with the cut sides of the garlic. Place bread on a baking sheet; top with rthe oasted peppers. Lay mozzarella strips on a diagonal over the roasted peppers and drizzle with oil.
- Broil bruschetta 6 inches from the heat source until the cheese melts and starts to brown. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: How to Oven-Roast Peppers
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet. Arrange whole bell peppers on the rack.
- 2. Roast peppers in the center of the oven, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in places, 30 to 40 minutes.
- 3. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let steam for 10 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
- 4. With a paring knife, remove stems, skins and seeds. If serving as antipasto, combine accumulated juices with peppers.
Per serving: 96 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 215 mg sodium; 132 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C(97% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more