From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Unsweetened applesauce replaces some of the fat in these walnut-topped brownies.
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, coarsely chopped, toasted (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt chocolate in a small bowl over hot (not boiling) water or in a microwave oven on Medium. Set aside.
- Stir together flour, cocoa and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together egg whites and eggs in a large bowl. Add sugar, corn syrup, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Whisk in the chocolate. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle with walnuts. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack. Cut into squares.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chop nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 140 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 78 mg sodium; 83 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 1993