From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Unsweetened applesauce replaces some of the fat in these walnut-topped brownies.
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, coarsely chopped, toasted (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt chocolate in a small bowl over hot (not boiling) water or in a microwave oven on Medium. Set aside.
- Stir together flour, cocoa and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together egg whites and eggs in a large bowl. Add sugar, corn syrup, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Whisk in the chocolate. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle with walnuts. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack. Cut into squares.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chop nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 140 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 78 mg sodium; 83 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 1993