From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Unsweetened applesauce replaces some of the fat in these walnut-topped brownies.
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, coarsely chopped, toasted (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt chocolate in a small bowl over hot (not boiling) water or in a microwave oven on Medium. Set aside.
- Stir together flour, cocoa and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together egg whites and eggs in a large bowl. Add sugar, corn syrup, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Whisk in the chocolate. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle with walnuts. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack. Cut into squares.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chop nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 140 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 78 mg sodium; 83 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 1993