From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Unsweetened applesauce replaces some of the fat in these walnut-topped brownies.
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, coarsely chopped, toasted (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt chocolate in a small bowl over hot (not boiling) water or in a microwave oven on Medium. Set aside.
- Stir together flour, cocoa and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together egg whites and eggs in a large bowl. Add sugar, corn syrup, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Whisk in the chocolate. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle with walnuts. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack. Cut into squares.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chop nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 140 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 78 mg sodium; 83 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 1993