local beets from the farmers market this time of year were perfect for this recipe. The brown sugar added an extra flavor to the beets which complemented them well. Easy to make, too - I micowaved the beets
Brown Sugar-Glazed Beets
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
Try a sweet glaze on beets or other root vegetables to help balance their earthy flavor. This easy recipe will work with steamed carrots, turnips or rutabaga too.
5 Reviews for Brown Sugar-Glazed Beets
This is fantastic. I've made it with beets only and with a combination of beets and sweet potatoes (one time when I didn't have enough beets). Both ways were delicious, but I probably prefer the beet/sweet potato combo for the variety over just beets. My better half doesn't like beets, so he picked out most of the sweet potatoes. He ate them all in one meal. No leftovers for us that night.
Loved this. I usually roast my beets so this was a different way to cook them. They took 20-25 minutes to steam but I doubled the recipe and had a big mound of beets. No oranges or orange juice so I used Cointreau. Also used the same pot I steamed the beets in so less clean-up.
Organic beets, if you can't grow your own, are wirth the price in terms of flavor. They don't have that muddy flavor you get with regular grocery beets.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)