Brown Sugar-Glazed Beets
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
Try a sweet glaze on beets or other root vegetables to help balance their earthy flavor. This easy recipe will work with steamed carrots, turnips or rutabaga too.
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups steamed cubed beets, 1/2- to 1-inch cubes (see Tip)
- Combine brown sugar, orange juice, butter, salt and pepper in a large nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat until the sugar and butter are melted and starting to bubble. Stir in beets and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the beets are coated with glaze, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve hot or warm.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: How to Prep & Steam Beets: Trim greens (if any) and root end; peel the skin with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut beets into 1/2- to 1-inch-thick cubes, wedges or slices.
- To steam on the stovetop: Place in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a large pot. Cover and steam over high heat until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- To steam in the microwave: Place in a glass baking dish, add 2 tablespoons water, cover tightly and microwave on High until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- No time to prep? Look for Melissa's brand Peeled Baby Red Beets in the produce section of many supermarkets. They're peeled, steamed and ready to eat and contain far less sodium than their canned counterparts.
Per serving: 74 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 276 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- January/February 2009