Brown Sugar-Glazed Beets
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
Try a sweet glaze on beets or other root vegetables to help balance their earthy flavor. This easy recipe will work with steamed carrots, turnips or rutabaga too.
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups steamed cubed beets, 1/2- to 1-inch cubes (see Tip)
- Combine brown sugar, orange juice, butter, salt and pepper in a large nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat until the sugar and butter are melted and starting to bubble. Stir in beets and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the beets are coated with glaze, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve hot or warm.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: How to Prep & Steam Beets: Trim greens (if any) and root end; peel the skin with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut beets into 1/2- to 1-inch-thick cubes, wedges or slices.
- To steam on the stovetop: Place in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a large pot. Cover and steam over high heat until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- To steam in the microwave: Place in a glass baking dish, add 2 tablespoons water, cover tightly and microwave on High until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- No time to prep? Look for Melissa's brand Peeled Baby Red Beets in the produce section of many supermarkets. They're peeled, steamed and ready to eat and contain far less sodium than their canned counterparts.
Per serving: 74 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 276 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2009