Brown Sugar-Glazed Beets
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
Try a sweet glaze on beets or other root vegetables to help balance their earthy flavor. This easy recipe will work with steamed carrots, turnips or rutabaga too.
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups steamed cubed beets, 1/2- to 1-inch cubes (see Tip)
- Combine brown sugar, orange juice, butter, salt and pepper in a large nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat until the sugar and butter are melted and starting to bubble. Stir in beets and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the beets are coated with glaze, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve hot or warm.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: How to Prep & Steam Beets: Trim greens (if any) and root end; peel the skin with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut beets into 1/2- to 1-inch-thick cubes, wedges or slices.
- To steam on the stovetop: Place in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a large pot. Cover and steam over high heat until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- To steam in the microwave: Place in a glass baking dish, add 2 tablespoons water, cover tightly and microwave on High until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- No time to prep? Look for Melissa's brand Peeled Baby Red Beets in the produce section of many supermarkets. They're peeled, steamed and ready to eat and contain far less sodium than their canned counterparts.
Per serving: 74 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 276 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2009