Brown Sugar Crackles
These sweet sugar cookies have an appealing cracked top and a chewy middle.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 3 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Stir together all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Beat together brown sugar, butter, oil, eggs and vanilla in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth, making sure no lumps of brown sugar remain, about 1 minute. Stir in the dry ingredients until completely blended. (The dough will be stiff.)
- Divide the dough in half and press each half into a flat disk. Roll out one of the disks on a lightly floured surface to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out cookies with a 2-inch round cookie cutter, placing the cookies 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough. Press the scraps together and cut out additional cookies. Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until they are puffed in the middle and browned around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand for about 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Per cookie: 77 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 15 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique