Brown Rice Pilaf
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Turn everyday brown rice into delicious brown rice pilaf with the addition of currants and sliced almonds.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted (see Tips)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and stir until starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer, cover and cook until the rice is tender, 30 to 40 minutes (see Tips). Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and toss with currants and almonds.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To toast slivered or sliced nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- To have the most success cooking whole-grain rice, use a pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook on your coolest (or simmer) burner, making sure the rice is simmering at the lowest bubble. When preparing a recipe that calls for less than 1 cup of dry rice, like this pilaf, we found that the cooking time varied greatly depending on what stove we used: it was sometimes done in as little as 30 minutes and burned at 50 minutes. So, when cooking a small batch of rice, start checking it after 30 minutes to make sure it doesn’t burn.
Per serving: 199 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 173 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012