Brown Rice Pilaf
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Turn everyday brown rice into delicious brown rice pilaf with the addition of currants and sliced almonds.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted (see Tips)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and stir until starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer, cover and cook until the rice is tender, 30 to 40 minutes (see Tips). Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and toss with currants and almonds.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To toast slivered or sliced nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- To have the most success cooking whole-grain rice, use a pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook on your coolest (or simmer) burner, making sure the rice is simmering at the lowest bubble. When preparing a recipe that calls for less than 1 cup of dry rice, like this pilaf, we found that the cooking time varied greatly depending on what stove we used: it was sometimes done in as little as 30 minutes and burned at 50 minutes. So, when cooking a small batch of rice, start checking it after 30 minutes to make sure it doesn’t burn.
Per serving: 199 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 173 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2012