Brown Rice Pilaf
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Turn everyday brown rice into delicious brown rice pilaf with the addition of currants and sliced almonds.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted (see Tips)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and stir until starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer, cover and cook until the rice is tender, 30 to 40 minutes (see Tips). Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and toss with currants and almonds.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To toast slivered or sliced nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- To have the most success cooking whole-grain rice, use a pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook on your coolest (or simmer) burner, making sure the rice is simmering at the lowest bubble. When preparing a recipe that calls for less than 1 cup of dry rice, like this pilaf, we found that the cooking time varied greatly depending on what stove we used: it was sometimes done in as little as 30 minutes and burned at 50 minutes. So, when cooking a small batch of rice, start checking it after 30 minutes to make sure it doesn’t burn.
Per serving: 199 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 173 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)