Brown Rice Pilaf
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Turn everyday brown rice into delicious brown rice pilaf with the addition of currants and sliced almonds.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted (see Tips)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and stir until starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer, cover and cook until the rice is tender, 30 to 40 minutes (see Tips). Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and toss with currants and almonds.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To toast slivered or sliced nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- To have the most success cooking whole-grain rice, use a pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook on your coolest (or simmer) burner, making sure the rice is simmering at the lowest bubble. When preparing a recipe that calls for less than 1 cup of dry rice, like this pilaf, we found that the cooking time varied greatly depending on what stove we used: it was sometimes done in as little as 30 minutes and burned at 50 minutes. So, when cooking a small batch of rice, start checking it after 30 minutes to make sure it doesn’t burn.
Per serving: 199 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 173 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012