Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we flavor the mashed potatoes with nutty browned butter and tangy buttermilk. For a pretty presentation, serve garnished with thinly sliced fresh chives.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Black or white pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heart. Continue heating until it starts bubbling; stir and cook, watching carefully so it doesn’t burn, until it turns golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir the browned butter, buttermilk and pepper into the mashed potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 188 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 261 mg sodium; 573 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Potassium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 2013