Brown Butter & Dill Brussels Sprouts
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
When you brown butter, as in this recipe, the flavor intensifies so adding just a little to Brussels sprouts still makes a big impact.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add Brussels sprouts, cover and steam until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook, swirling often, until the butter turns a nutty brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in oil and scrape into a large bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the Brussels sprouts, almonds, vinegar, dill, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast slivered almonds, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 131 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 172 mg sodium; 431 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (128% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2010