Brown Butter & Dill Brussels Sprouts
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
When you brown butter, as in this recipe, the flavor intensifies so adding just a little to Brussels sprouts still makes a big impact.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add Brussels sprouts, cover and steam until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook, swirling often, until the butter turns a nutty brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in oil and scrape into a large bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the Brussels sprouts, almonds, vinegar, dill, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast slivered almonds, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 131 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 172 mg sodium; 431 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (128% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2010