Brothy Chinese Noodles
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
This dish was inspired by Chinese Dan Dan noodles—ground pork and noodles in a spicy broth. We use ground turkey and omit the traditional Sichuan peppercorns for convenience, but add hot sesame oil. Use toasted sesame oil instead if you want mild noodles.
- 2 tablespoons hot sesame oil (see Note), divided
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 cups thinly sliced bok choy
- 8 ounces dried Chinese noodles (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 small cucumber, sliced into matchsticks, for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add ground turkey, all but 2 tablespoons of the scallions, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring and breaking up the turkey, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add broth, water, bok choy, noodles, soy sauce, vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the turkey mixture to the pan and stir to combine. Serve garnished with the reserved 2 tablespoons scallions and cucumber (if using).
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient notes: Hot sesame oil can be found in the Asian-food section of most supermarkets.
- Dried Chinese noodles, often used in Chinese soups and lo mein, cook up quickly and can be found in the Asian-food section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 292 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 6 g fiber; 633 mg sodium; 509 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (32% daily value), Vitamin C (22% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2010