Broth with Diamond-Shaped Crepes (Mariola)
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Tasty diamond-shaped crepes float in broth in this Friday staple from Apulia, Italy. Homemade broth is best for this soup, but storebought will do in a pinch.
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fine dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 8 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, or chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese, (2 ounces) (optional)
- Whisk together egg, egg whites, milk, parsley, marjoram and salt in a medium bowl. Add breadcrumbs and whisk until smooth. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Coat a well-seasoned crepe pan or small nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Pour about one third of the batter into the pan. Tilt and rotate the pan to spread the batter evenly over the bottom. Cook until the underside is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Flip the crepe and cook until light brown on the other side, about 30 seconds longer. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Cut the crepes into 1/2-inch strips, then cut them again at a 45-degree angle into diamond shapes.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Drop the diamond-shaped crepes into the boiling broth and remove the pan from the heat. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with cheese, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the crepes (Steps 1-3) overnight or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 68 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 56 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1993