Broth with Diamond-Shaped Crepes (Mariola)
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Tasty diamond-shaped crepes float in broth in this Friday staple from Apulia, Italy. Homemade broth is best for this soup, but storebought will do in a pinch.
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fine dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 8 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, or chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese, (2 ounces) (optional)
- Whisk together egg, egg whites, milk, parsley, marjoram and salt in a medium bowl. Add breadcrumbs and whisk until smooth. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Coat a well-seasoned crepe pan or small nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Pour about one third of the batter into the pan. Tilt and rotate the pan to spread the batter evenly over the bottom. Cook until the underside is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Flip the crepe and cook until light brown on the other side, about 30 seconds longer. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Cut the crepes into 1/2-inch strips, then cut them again at a 45-degree angle into diamond shapes.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Drop the diamond-shaped crepes into the boiling broth and remove the pan from the heat. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with cheese, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the crepes (Steps 1-3) overnight or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 68 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 56 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1993