Broth with Diamond-Shaped Crepes (Mariola)
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Tasty diamond-shaped crepes float in broth in this Friday staple from Apulia, Italy. Homemade broth is best for this soup, but storebought will do in a pinch.
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fine dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 8 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, or chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese, (2 ounces) (optional)
- Whisk together egg, egg whites, milk, parsley, marjoram and salt in a medium bowl. Add breadcrumbs and whisk until smooth. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Coat a well-seasoned crepe pan or small nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Pour about one third of the batter into the pan. Tilt and rotate the pan to spread the batter evenly over the bottom. Cook until the underside is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Flip the crepe and cook until light brown on the other side, about 30 seconds longer. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Cut the crepes into 1/2-inch strips, then cut them again at a 45-degree angle into diamond shapes.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Drop the diamond-shaped crepes into the boiling broth and remove the pan from the heat. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with cheese, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the crepes (Steps 1-3) overnight or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 68 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 56 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1993