Broth with Diamond-Shaped Crepes (Mariola)
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Tasty diamond-shaped crepes float in broth in this Friday staple from Apulia, Italy. Homemade broth is best for this soup, but storebought will do in a pinch.
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fine dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 8 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, or chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese, (2 ounces) (optional)
- Whisk together egg, egg whites, milk, parsley, marjoram and salt in a medium bowl. Add breadcrumbs and whisk until smooth. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Coat a well-seasoned crepe pan or small nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Pour about one third of the batter into the pan. Tilt and rotate the pan to spread the batter evenly over the bottom. Cook until the underside is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Flip the crepe and cook until light brown on the other side, about 30 seconds longer. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Cut the crepes into 1/2-inch strips, then cut them again at a 45-degree angle into diamond shapes.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Drop the diamond-shaped crepes into the boiling broth and remove the pan from the heat. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with cheese, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the crepes (Steps 1-3) overnight or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 68 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 56 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1993