Broth with Diamond-Shaped Crepes (Mariola)
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Tasty diamond-shaped crepes float in broth in this Friday staple from Apulia, Italy. Homemade broth is best for this soup, but storebought will do in a pinch.
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fine dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 8 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, or chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese, (2 ounces) (optional)
- Whisk together egg, egg whites, milk, parsley, marjoram and salt in a medium bowl. Add breadcrumbs and whisk until smooth. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Coat a well-seasoned crepe pan or small nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Pour about one third of the batter into the pan. Tilt and rotate the pan to spread the batter evenly over the bottom. Cook until the underside is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Flip the crepe and cook until light brown on the other side, about 30 seconds longer. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Cut the crepes into 1/2-inch strips, then cut them again at a 45-degree angle into diamond shapes.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Drop the diamond-shaped crepes into the boiling broth and remove the pan from the heat. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with cheese, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the crepes (Steps 1-3) overnight or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 68 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 56 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1993