Broiled Tomato-Pesto Sandwiches
From EatingWell: July/August 1992
Fragrant sprigs of basil and a big, ripe tomato transform bagels into a great summer sandwich.
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 bagels or English muffins, split
- 1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- Combine basil, cheese, oil and garlic in a food processor or blender and process until well blended. Add yogurt and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat the broiler. Place bagels or muffins cut-side up on a baking sheet. Broil until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread each half with the reserved basil mixture and top with a few slices of tomato. Season with salt and pepper and broil until hot, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 219 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 6 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Magnesium (19% dv), Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1992