Broiled Tomato-Pesto Sandwiches
From EatingWell: July/August 1992
Fragrant sprigs of basil and a big, ripe tomato transform bagels into a great summer sandwich.
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 bagels or English muffins, split
- 1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- Combine basil, cheese, oil and garlic in a food processor or blender and process until well blended. Add yogurt and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat the broiler. Place bagels or muffins cut-side up on a baking sheet. Broil until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread each half with the reserved basil mixture and top with a few slices of tomato. Season with salt and pepper and broil until hot, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 219 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 6 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Magnesium (19% dv), Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1992