Broiled Tomato-Pesto Sandwiches
From EatingWell: July/August 1992
Fragrant sprigs of basil and a big, ripe tomato transform bagels into a great summer sandwich.
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 bagels or English muffins, split
- 1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- Combine basil, cheese, oil and garlic in a food processor or blender and process until well blended. Add yogurt and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat the broiler. Place bagels or muffins cut-side up on a baking sheet. Broil until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread each half with the reserved basil mixture and top with a few slices of tomato. Season with salt and pepper and broil until hot, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 219 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 6 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Magnesium (19% dv), Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1992
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)