Broiled Salmon with Miso Glaze
Versatile miso (fermented soybean paste) keeps for months in the refrigerator and adds instant flavor to soups, sauces, dips, marinades and salad dressings. In general, the lighter the miso, the milder and sweeter its flavor. Light miso is the key to the wonderful flavor of this salmon.
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sweet white miso paste, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons mirin, (Japanese rice wine) (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce, or tamari (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- A few drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/4 pounds center-cut salmon fillet, cut into 4 portions
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- Position oven rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Line a small baking pan with foil. Coat foil with cooking spray.
- Toast sesame seeds in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk miso, mirin, soy sauce (or tamari), ginger and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl until smooth.
- Place salmon fillets, skin-side down, in the prepared pan. Brush generously with the miso mixture. Broil salmon, 3 to 4 inches from the heat source, until opaque in the center, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the salmon to warmed plates and garnish with the reserved sesame seeds, scallions and cilantro (or parsley).
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Miso paste, mirin and tamari are available in health-food stores and Asian markets.
Per serving: 252 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 1 g fiber; 432 mg sodium; 730 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 730 mg potassium (37% daily value). Salmon is also a delicious way to get omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique