Broiled Salmon with Miso Glaze
Versatile miso (fermented soybean paste) keeps for months in the refrigerator and adds instant flavor to soups, sauces, dips, marinades and salad dressings. In general, the lighter the miso, the milder and sweeter its flavor. Light miso is the key to the wonderful flavor of this salmon.
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sweet white miso paste, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons mirin, (Japanese rice wine) (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce, or tamari (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- A few drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/4 pounds center-cut salmon fillet, cut into 4 portions
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- Position oven rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Line a small baking pan with foil. Coat foil with cooking spray.
- Toast sesame seeds in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk miso, mirin, soy sauce (or tamari), ginger and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl until smooth.
- Place salmon fillets, skin-side down, in the prepared pan. Brush generously with the miso mixture. Broil salmon, 3 to 4 inches from the heat source, until opaque in the center, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the salmon to warmed plates and garnish with the reserved sesame seeds, scallions and cilantro (or parsley).
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Miso paste, mirin and tamari are available in health-food stores and Asian markets.
Per serving: 252 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 1 g fiber; 432 mg sodium; 730 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 730 mg potassium (37% daily value). Salmon is also a delicious way to get omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique