Broiled Salmon with Miso Glaze
Versatile miso (fermented soybean paste) keeps for months in the refrigerator and adds instant flavor to soups, sauces, dips, marinades and salad dressings. In general, the lighter the miso, the milder and sweeter its flavor. Light miso is the key to the wonderful flavor of this salmon.
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sweet white miso paste, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons mirin, (Japanese rice wine) (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce, or tamari (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- A few drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/4 pounds center-cut salmon fillet, cut into 4 portions
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- Position oven rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Line a small baking pan with foil. Coat foil with cooking spray.
- Toast sesame seeds in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk miso, mirin, soy sauce (or tamari), ginger and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl until smooth.
- Place salmon fillets, skin-side down, in the prepared pan. Brush generously with the miso mixture. Broil salmon, 3 to 4 inches from the heat source, until opaque in the center, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the salmon to warmed plates and garnish with the reserved sesame seeds, scallions and cilantro (or parsley).
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Miso paste, mirin and tamari are available in health-food stores and Asian markets.
Per serving: 252 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 1 g fiber; 432 mg sodium; 730 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 730 mg potassium (37% daily value). Salmon is also a delicious way to get omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique