Broiled Salmon with Miso Glaze
Versatile miso (fermented soybean paste) keeps for months in the refrigerator and adds instant flavor to soups, sauces, dips, marinades and salad dressings. In general, the lighter the miso, the milder and sweeter its flavor. Light miso is the key to the wonderful flavor of this salmon.
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sweet white miso paste, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons mirin, (Japanese rice wine) (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce, or tamari (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- A few drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/4 pounds center-cut salmon fillet, cut into 4 portions
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- Position oven rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Line a small baking pan with foil. Coat foil with cooking spray.
- Toast sesame seeds in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk miso, mirin, soy sauce (or tamari), ginger and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl until smooth.
- Place salmon fillets, skin-side down, in the prepared pan. Brush generously with the miso mixture. Broil salmon, 3 to 4 inches from the heat source, until opaque in the center, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the salmon to warmed plates and garnish with the reserved sesame seeds, scallions and cilantro (or parsley).
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Miso paste, mirin and tamari are available in health-food stores and Asian markets.
Per serving: 252 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 1 g fiber; 432 mg sodium; 730 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 730 mg potassium (37% daily value). Salmon is also a delicious way to get omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less