Brown Sugar Broiled Grapefruit
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Grapefruit for dessert? Why not! In this broiled grapefruit recipe, grapefruit halves are topped with spiced brown sugar, caramelized under the broiler then topped with a dollop of vanilla-infused whipped cream.
- 2 red or pink grapefruit
- 8 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon or cardamom
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons nonfat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position oven rack about 3 inches from the heat source; preheat broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Cut each grapefruit in half, then trim a thin slice off the bottom so it sits level. With a paring knife or grapefruit knife, cut around each segment; remove any seeds. Place the grapefruit halves on the prepared baking sheet. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon (or cardamom) in a small bowl. Brush each grapefruit half with butter, then sprinkle with about 2 teaspoons of the sugar mixture.
- Broil the grapefruit, watching carefully and rotating the pan front to back once halfway through, until the tops are bubbling and golden brown, 7 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat cream in a small bowl until stiff. Beat in yogurt, granulated sugar and vanilla just until combined. Serve each grapefruit topped with a heaping tablespoon of the vanilla cream.
Per serving: 138 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 10 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (64% daily value), Vitamin A (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013