Brown Sugar Broiled Grapefruit
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Grapefruit for dessert? Why not! In this broiled grapefruit recipe, grapefruit halves are topped with spiced brown sugar, caramelized under the broiler then topped with a dollop of vanilla-infused whipped cream.
- 2 red or pink grapefruit
- 8 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon or cardamom
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons nonfat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position oven rack about 3 inches from the heat source; preheat broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Cut each grapefruit in half, then trim a thin slice off the bottom so it sits level. With a paring knife or grapefruit knife, cut around each segment; remove any seeds. Place the grapefruit halves on the prepared baking sheet. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon (or cardamom) in a small bowl. Brush each grapefruit half with butter, then sprinkle with about 2 teaspoons of the sugar mixture.
- Broil the grapefruit, watching carefully and rotating the pan front to back once halfway through, until the tops are bubbling and golden brown, 7 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat cream in a small bowl until stiff. Beat in yogurt, granulated sugar and vanilla just until combined. Serve each grapefruit topped with a heaping tablespoon of the vanilla cream.
Per serving: 138 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 10 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (64% daily value), Vitamin A (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013