Brown Sugar Broiled Grapefruit
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Grapefruit for dessert? Why not! In this broiled grapefruit recipe, grapefruit halves are topped with spiced brown sugar, caramelized under the broiler then topped with a dollop of vanilla-infused whipped cream.
- 2 red or pink grapefruit
- 8 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon or cardamom
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons nonfat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position oven rack about 3 inches from the heat source; preheat broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Cut each grapefruit in half, then trim a thin slice off the bottom so it sits level. With a paring knife or grapefruit knife, cut around each segment; remove any seeds. Place the grapefruit halves on the prepared baking sheet. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon (or cardamom) in a small bowl. Brush each grapefruit half with butter, then sprinkle with about 2 teaspoons of the sugar mixture.
- Broil the grapefruit, watching carefully and rotating the pan front to back once halfway through, until the tops are bubbling and golden brown, 7 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat cream in a small bowl until stiff. Beat in yogurt, granulated sugar and vanilla just until combined. Serve each grapefruit topped with a heaping tablespoon of the vanilla cream.
Per serving: 138 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 10 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (64% daily value), Vitamin A (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013