Broiled Cajun Catfish
Lightly seasoned cornmeal turns into a tasty crust for broiled catfish fillets. Make it a meal: Serve with Creamy Coleslaw and Oven Sweet Potato Fries.
- 1 1/4 pounds catfish fillets, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat the broiler. Lightly spray a rack (large enough to hold the fish in a single layer) with cooking spray and set it on top of a baking sheet.
- Place fish fillets in a shallow dish, pour buttermilk over and turn to coat well. Stir together cornmeal, salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne in another shallow dish. Lift each piece of fish from the buttermilk, shaking off the excess, and dip both sides in the cornmeal mixture, coating completely. Place on the prepared rack.
- Broil the fish, about 4 inches from the heat, until it is opaque in the center, about 3 minutes per side.
Per serving: 250 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 380 mg sodium; 437 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (26% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation