Broccoli with Black Bean-Garlic Sauce
The bold taste of black bean-garlic sauce mellows into a rich and warming glaze in this fast Asian-style dish.
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1 teaspoon rice-wine vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons black bean-garlic sauce, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- Toast sesame seeds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Mix 1/4 cup water, vinegar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add black bean sauce and stir until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or stir-fry pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli and stir to coat. Add the remaining 1/4 cup water; cover and steam just until the broccoli is tender-crisp, 1 to 3 minutes. Push broccoli to the sides and pour the sauce mixture in the center. Stir until the sauce begins to thicken, about 1 minute. Stir in the broccoli to coat. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Black bean-garlic sauce, made from pureed salted and fermented black soybeans, is a widely used condiment in Chinese cooking and can be found with the Asian food in most supermarkets.
Per serving: 53 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 133 mg sodium; 247 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Folate (13% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation