Broccoli & Tortellini Salad with Arugula Pesto
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
A quick homemade arugula pesto dresses this simple broccoli and tortellini salad recipe. Serve with fresh sliced tomatoes drizzled with olive oil.
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 5 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup shredded Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 9- to 10-ounce packages fresh cheese tortellini, preferably whole-wheat
- 5 cups small broccoli florets
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- With the motor running, drop garlic through the feed tube of a food processor; process until minced. Turn it off and add arugula, cheese, oil, 1/4 cup pine nuts, lemon zest and salt. Process, scraping down the sides as necessary, until the mixture is fairly smooth; leave the pesto in the food processor while you cook the tortellini.
- Cook tortellini in the boiling water until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes or according to package directions. Place broccoli in a colander and set it in the sink. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta-cooking liquid, then pour the tortellini and the rest of the cooking liquid over the broccoli in the colander. (Pouring the hot pasta and cooking liquid over the broccoli “flash-cooks” it, leaving it bright green and tender-crisp.)
- Add the reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid to the pesto in the food processor; pulse to combine. Transfer the tortellini and broccoli to a large bowl. Toss with the pesto. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 2 tablespoons pine nuts.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Per serving: 445 calories; 23 g fat (5 g sat, 9 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 5 g fiber; 605 mg sodium; 314 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (99% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 2012